Sunday, January 20, 2019

Small Setbacks

A few weeks ago, when we took Alex for his annual physical, his doctor proclaimed him to be in excellent health. Although we suspected this to be true, for Alex had not needed to go to the doctor since his last annual exam a year ago, we were delighted to get such a good report. Nonetheless, the doctor did have one issue for Alex (and us) to work on: eating more calories per day and trying to gain about fifteen pounds. While many of us would be ecstatic to have our doctors give us that advice, we knew this could be challenging for Alex, whose metabolism and level of activity keep him naturally thin. Along with the food aversion issues he’s struggled with for more than a year and a half that caused him to lose weight, gaining weight for Alex is as difficult as losing weight is for most people.

Nonetheless, we took the doctor’s suggestion to heart, trying to find ways to get Alex to eat more and consume more calories. Fortunately, Alex made a real breakthrough around Christmas, suddenly eating a greater variety and quantity of foods, returning to his past habits of eating healthy, instead of limiting himself to cold and smooth foods. He even began asking for old favorites, such as meatloaf and shrimp, and happily devoured them. Thanking God for this Christmas miracle, we thought Alex had made a big breakthrough in overcoming the food aversion that not only made him not want to eat certain foods but also triggered panic attacks at the kitchen table.

Because his doctor understands Alex’s issues well, he recommended adding nutritional supplements, namely Ensure or Carnation Breakfast Essentials, to Alex’s daily diet. Although both of these products contain milk, to which Alex has a dietary sensitivity, I was willing to take a chance that their benefits outweighed the potential concerns about giving him milk products in these supplements. After I added Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder in Classic French Vanilla flavor to Alex’s nondairy shakes made of Rice Dream ice “cream” and coconut milk beverage and strawberries, he seemed to like the taste and was willing to drink three of these shakes every day. I thought we had found a great way to get some calories into him easily.

However, after a few days of these shakes, Alex began complaining of headaches. While I suspected the milk in the nutritional supplements might have been the culprit, I thought a few more days wouldn’t hurt. I was wrong. The more days Alex had the powdered milk supplements, the more irritable he became. Then he started complaining of stomachaches. Although I was fairly certain the source of his pain and grouchiness was milk in the doctor-recommended nutritional supplement, I knew we had to test this theory by eliminating it from his strawberry shakes. Once I removed the milk product from his shakes, Alex stopped complaining of headaches and stomachaches, and he stopped being cranky, which was probably a result of not feeling well. Consequently, we had to abandon the doctor’s simple plan for adding calories and find other ways to help Alex gain weight.

About the same time, and probably not coincidentally, Alex’s wonderful progress in eating a variety of foods was followed by a regression. Unfortunately, he wanted to return to the cold and smooth diet, favoring applesauce, dairy-free yogurt, and non-dairy pudding. Between the bad reaction to the nutritional supplements and the return of food aversion, I was terribly frustrated by these setbacks, even though they were relatively small. Knowing that Alex has an appointment in a few weeks with his doctor to monitor his weight, I am feeling pressure to make sure he puts on some pounds to show that I’m putting forth effort.

Feeling a bit defeated and disappointed, I knew what I had to do. Reminding myself of Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” I resumed my usual determination and began researching other ways. Knowing that Alex likes pudding, I found a great and simple-to-make recipe for peanut butter pudding that can easily be adapted with coconut milk. Full of calories and protein, it offers Alex what he needs. In addition, the recipe came from one of his favorite chefs, the late “Mr. Food,” whom Alex loves to imitate by repeating his motto in a deep voice: “Ooh, it’s so good!” I knew that Alex would be willing to try this new food, especially, if we both said Mr. Food’s motto before he ate it. Fortunately, the peanut butter pudding turned out delicious, and Alex loves it because it is, indeed, “Ooh, so good!”

In addition, I found a different nutritional supplement to try that uses plant proteins instead of milk proteins. While I’m not sure whether Alex will like the taste, we’ll give it a try next week. In the meantime, I keep praying that he’ll resume his healthy and varied diet, as we witnessed the week after Christmas. However, I also know that I need to remain upbeat and calm about Alex’s eating habits so that he doesn’t pick up on my anxiety and add it to his own. If nothing else, I am tenacious about making sure Alex is healthy and happy, and I won’t allow these small setbacks to deter that ultimate goal. Most importantly, I know that God has a plan for Alex, and as the Great Healer, He will make certain that Alex gets everything he needs.


“But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” 2 Chronicles 15:7

No comments: