Sunday, May 10, 2015

Blessings of Motherhood

 
“…While Earth herself is adorning,
This sweet May-morning,
And the children are culling
On every side,
In a thousand valleys far and wide,
Fresh flowers; while the sun shines warm,
And the babe leaps up on his mother’s arm:––
I hear, I hear, with joy I hear!”

William Wordsworth, “Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood”

Yesterday, as an early Mother’s Day gift, Ed brought me a beautiful bouquet of a dozen delicate pink roses from Alex and him. As I began to unwrap the protective covering surrounding the flowers, Ed noticed that one had been bent and snapped off its long stem. When I began to place them in a vase, their leaves fell off, and I found a stem without a rose. Disappointed that the roses were not as perfect as they had appeared, Ed sighed and apologized. However, I was delighted with my ten and a half leafless roses. Not only am I blessed to be Alex’s mother, but I am also blessed to have a loving and thoughtful husband who makes every holiday special. Besides, as I explained to him, those ten and a half roses symbolize our life with autism­­––not what we expected, but special and sweet nonetheless.

For all the sessions of various therapies, I’m thankful for the progress Alex has made.

For all the different pills I’ve administered, I’m grateful that Alex is better.

For all the questions I’ve had, I’m indebted to those who have answered them.

For all the times I have waited, I’m pleased that the waiting was worthwhile.

For all the worries and tears and fears, I’m appreciative of the joys Alex has brought me.

For all the prayers I have prayed, I’m content that God has always been faithful.

Twenty-four years ago, when I first discovered that I was going to be a mother for the first time and that I was carrying Alex, who was to be my only child, I had no idea what life had in store for us. After two dozen Mother’s Days, I can look back over all the troubles and triumphs and know how blessed I am to have Alex as my child.

When I update Alex's therapists on his progress, I’m thankful for our awesome support team.

When we do typical family things like going shopping or eating at restaurants or watching television, I’m grateful that we can enjoy these times together because Alex is better.

When Alex asks me countless questions, I’m indebted to Google for having answers when I do not.

When I tell Alex I’ll do something in five minutes and he sets the kitchen timer, I’m pleased that he makes me keep my promises.

When Alex takes my hand in a crowded place, I’m appreciative that he trusts me to guide him.

When Alex and I say bedtime prayers every night, I’m content that I have taught him always to have faith in God.

Happy Mother’s Day to my wonderful mother, who taught me all the things I needed to be Alex’s mother, to my sister and my sisters by marriage, to my aunts and cousins, to my dear friends, and to the autism moms like me. May God bless our children and us!

“So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy.” Proverbs 23:25

No comments: